Monday, June 16, 2008

Dinner Shows make a comeback

I remember going to dinner shows with my parents - in Taiwan, and in HK at the Ocean Star Restaurant in the Ocean Terminal, TST. Performers sing on stage while you feast on a full course gastronomic treat. I thought it a great match of my 2 interests in life - food and music. Dinner shows were all the rave in the 1960's to early 80's. Then Karaoke came to town, MTV etc. etc. and they gradually disappeared.

Won't you believe it? 20 years on there's a revival of that dinner show culture in Toronto?!?!? So odd, to see all these Asian performers do dinner shows again, but maybe they do make business sense, smaller venue and less overhead. And organizers are smart to cater to the demographics with highest buying potential - boomers. Hence such recent notables as Yang Yen, aka Apple Flower Queen, at $200 pp.

There is one dinner show I really want to see - June 26, Okinawan Natsukawa Rimi in HK. Sadly, I will miss it, because I don't want to spend $2K on a plane ticket to attend a concert / dinner show. Even if my life's 2 interests are food and music. And yes, despite my deep fondness for shima uta (island songs)

2 comments:

Salad said...

next time....we will go together! Promise....

Justina said...

"My 2 interests in life -- food and music." Hhahaha, you're hilarious!